Trading in a Bike is Easy!
1) Bring your bike-shop-quality bike to any Scheller's store.
2) One of our store managers will assist you and assess the bike's condition and find the trade-in value using our on-line valuation tools.
3) Use your old bike's value to buy something on that visit, or go home with a Scheller's gift card for future use.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q) What bikes will be accepted?
A) Accepted bikes must be in good working order, or in condition that requires only minor refurbishment. Bikes must be completely free of structural damage. In general, most bikes originally purchased from a bike shop and in working condition are eligible for trade-in. In general, we accept trade-in on bikes that are five (5) years old or newer. Sometimes we make exceptions. In an effort to fight bike theft, we will require the following: 1) Your valid driver's license 2) The bike's serial number must not be defaced or destroyed.
Q) How will the bike's value be determined?
A) We use industry accepted, third-party valuation tools. We have access to an extensive database including nearly every bike-shop quality bike from the past 15 years. This allows us to determine value using a combination of factors including original MSRP, age, and condition within a range of 5 possibilities: poor, fair, good, very-good, excellent
Q) Will I be negotiating the trade-in price?
A) No. Our tools allow us to determine an accurate and fair trade-in value for both parties.
Q) How do Scheller's trade-in prices compare to private-party sale prices?
A) Our trade-in assessment won’t be as much as you could get on selling the bike directly to a private party using Craigslist or another method. Also, we are a wholesale buyer and will be marking your bike up to final retail price in order to make a profit. We will also be investing significant resources in servicing even the best condition bikes to get them to our standard for resale. If you’re looking to get the highest dollar for your used bike, your best bet is to find a direct buyer. Our trade-in program offers a fair value with exceptional ease, convenience and avoiding transactions with strangers through on-line listings.
Q) How much time does it take to trade-in a bike at Scheller's?
A) The trade-in process is similar to dropping off a bike for repair services. Our staff will normally need about 10 to 20 minutes to assess the bike. In some cases we may ask you to leave the bike overnight if a trade-in expert needs more time to assess or during high-volume times. From there you can do some shopping or go straight to the cashier and depart with a gift card in hand.
Other Trade-in Program Details
• Values are based on the original specifications of the bikes. Any non-stock customizations may dimenish the value. For example, removing fenders that originally came with the bike will lower the trade-in value. Likewise, component additions / upgrades have small positive impacts on trade-in values and in some cases may actually reduce, rather than increase the trade-in value.
• You can use your trade-in allowance on your same visit, or have a cashier issue a Scheller’s gift card for later use, or a mix of the two (spend some, save some). Scheller’s gift cards never expire and have no fees. Treat them like cash. Lost gift cards cannot be replaced.
• There is no charge to have your bike's value assessed.
• Some bikes may not qualify for resale and therefore will not be eligible for trade-in. Examples of brands that may not be eligible: Huffy, Kent, Magna, Motiv, Murray, Next, Roadmaster, Pacific, and Schwinn. Bikes from those brands and other bikes sold through mass-merchants (Wal-mart, Target, Academy, Dick's Sporting Goods, Amazon and other on-line retailers) have very low resale value and are therefore ineligible.
• Scheller's reserves the right to decline purchase on any bicycle from the trade-in program, for any reason, including bikes that meet our first level filter outlined above.
Contact Scheller's about bike trade-in:
The fastest way to trade-in a bike is to bring you bike by one of our locations. Use this contact form if you want information prior to your visit.